|Chrysler "60" - 1926
The Vintage was purchased from Clyde, Central Otago on 10 October 1979. The owner was in the process of beginning restoration, the Vintage had the basic frame work and no body work.
Laurie Hampton, who ran our Tillyshort's Monumental firm spotted it, where it had been cut down and was used as a truck.
It was originally owned by R McLean & Sons in Dunedin as a hearse. We purchased the Chrysler, and had it trucked to Dunedin.
After investigation we found Vintage Car Restorations in Ashburton and commissioned them to undertake restoration. The Vintage was with them for 3 years, and we visited it several times, they finally went broke, and the late Sandy Long of North End Motors, Dunedin, towed it back to Dunedin.
The upholstery in the cab had been completed by an Ashburton man, the motor was OK and Kevin Carter finished off the electrics. Clements and Stephens did the finishing off on the body work, and then it was delivered to Pat Moore, the auto painter, who completed the black paintwork.
It was then taken to Mosgiel, where the floor and the lining inside in back were restored and the oak floor installed. The rollers came from the Lindsay family, Queenstown, who used to be the funeral director.
The Vintage was first registered in Dunedin on 25 May 1927, and after restoration was registered 60 years later on 11 June 1987.
The restoration combined perfectly with the Centenary of Hope & Sons Ltd. The Chrysler has been in active service since that time and is still in regular use.
In 2008 we acquired a car of the same make and model from Tapanui to use for parts, and in 2009 the Chrysler will be off the road for a while to replace and repair the motor, brakes and steering.
The Chrysler is fully restored and functioning, with the new low mileage motor installed. The guards and panels have been rust repaired and repainted and the interior carpets renewed. We participated in the 2012 USA Car Day at Tahuna Park.
The Vintage is available for use on all funerals in Dunedin.